Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jammed Foot  (Read 1565 times)

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Jammed Foot
« on: December 17, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »

This isn't about my chinchilla so don't know all the details. But the chinchilla jumped off her shoulder and fell on the floor and is missing a foot already on the front leg. Don't know how the foot is missing the foot its how they got him but now its messed up. It seems like it might be jammed, It could even be broken since the leg is already weird hard to tell if isn't normal without a x-ray. He seems to keep trying to like put his leg out and walk on it but when he does it keeps falling back. If it were to be jammed would it be better in a few days read some if isn't to bad not broken can get better in a few days.

Was wondering if anyone had any tips to tell. It keeps falling back looks bad but maybe its good thing if trying get back to normal or bad and should just leave it i dont know.

Also in terms a vet she would love too but don't really have money she said might ask her mom to take back her xmas gifts so can go to vet since will need x-rays and stuff if comes to it so trying to avoid that.

Thanks for any help

gasaraki03

• View Profile
Re: Jammed Foot
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:34:05 PM »

Seems like he still is eating and drinking which is good. Might need to get pulled out maybe. Hope will get better.
He is moving around only its weird since he normally is sleeping at this time. Maybe cant sleep because of the pain i wonder.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:51:22 PM by gasaraki03 »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 03:15:01 PM »

If was a dislocation or fracture I would be surprised to see him eating. Check for inflammation or unusual knots at the wrist, elbow, and shoulder joints. Typically fractures of the leg will present with part of the leg dangling like an extra joint where there shouldn't be one. Check the shoulder joints especially for symmetry against the other front leg. You can also try to touch and feel the arm above the elbow and shoulder to see if the chinchilla reacts to pain there. If there is no pain there it may be jammed at the wrist. If there are no unusual knots where swelling occurs around an injury chances are the vet can't do much but maybe prescribe an NSAID for pain. At least that's my opinion as a layman.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Lori Ramsey Earle

• Appreciation points: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »

Could you please be clearer in your explanation of the problem.
Quote:"missing a foot already on the front leg. Don't know how the foot is missing the foot its how they got him but now its messed up."
Is the chinchilla's foot really missing??
Quote:"It seems like it might be jammed, It could even be broken since the leg is already weird hard to tell if isn't normal without a x-ray. He seems to keep trying to like put his leg out and walk on it but when he does it keeps falling back."
What do you mean by jammed?Are you referring to the chin's leg or foot itself? In what way was the foot weird already?
In my opinion, this chin needs to see a vet so that the best treatment can be determined to get him out of pain. I don't think you can just wing it. Cost wise, maybe your friend could work out a monthly payment plan with her vet.

gasaraki03

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:37:41 PM »

Well when she bought him he has no front paw just a leg stump. Possible had to get cut off or was born like that.

Since the leg is already missing a foot it isn't like a normal like and always felt weird not normal. Therefore just touching it isn't really helpful since always felt weird.

It isn't in any pain and when she felt the leg there wasn't anything loose as in the bones.

As in jammed i mean the leg there is no paw.

He seems to be doing better of what i have heard he is up chewing on new chew toys. He was eating last night. Doesn't seem to be in any pain of we can tell.
I think he should be back to normal in a few days. If notice change im sure she'll take to vet if gets worse.

Lori Ramsey Earle

• Appreciation points: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 10:28:51 AM »

When you said that
"He seems to keep trying to like put his leg out and walk on it but when he does it keeps falling back"
it sounded like the chin was in pain. Which with a chin, is never a good thing.
I'm so glad to hear that the chinnie doesn't appear to be uncomfortable now. They do mask discomfort well, so tell your friend to keep a close eye on him. Eating, drinking and playing with toys are all good signs,though.

gasaraki03

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 01:42:25 PM »

Update he is doing better and starting to use his leg again slowly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up