Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building work next door.  (Read 4359 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Building work next door.
« on: December 06, 2006, 08:22:06 AM »

Next door they have started building an extention to their house. I say started but it's been going on for months now. They just don't seem to be doing anything productive. I've seen an extention go up in an month and a half and it's taken them this long to lay three rows of bricks.  >:(

Anyway, on to the point. They are making so much noise and it goes on from half eight in the morning until past four in the evening. The last time they did this, when they were knocking down the original extention, Cheech got really moody because the vibration went through the whole house for the time in which he's usually asleep. It must have kept him up and he got really vicious.
Now I have no  idea what they're doing but even the pictures on our walls are vibrating! There is nowhere in the house that isn't affected where we can move him to and I'm really worried about his health if he can't sleep during the day.

I know the builders are just messing around and trying to drag it out to get more money, because I've seen an extention twice that size go up (where they had to build the foundations and everything in less time than they've taken just to do the foundations and three rows of bricks. But how can I say anything? And what if I'm wrong? We don't know the neighbours that well so I don't feel comfortable going round and asking them about it either.

I'm sorry if I'm just rambling but I'm really annoyed. I'm worried for Cheech's health because of them, so any advice would be much appreciated.  :(

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Building work next door.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:09:37 AM »

Geez that's a pain.
Some people seem to take so long, maybe they are doing it as the money comes in. That maybe why it's taking so long.
I haven't had a touchy chin like that. Mine are so used to noise from birth that they hardly notice.
I shop vac their room every night, in a small 8x10 room it's pretty loud.
Then we have the work shop, with saws going, air compressor, sanders, you name it.
If Cheech seems bothered by it, move him to the other side of the house if you can, and maybe wrap his cage in a thick blanket to dull the sounds.You can also turn on a radio to drown it out some.

I know it's a pain and they should get their reno's done in a mannerly time, but what can you do?????

We have had so much construction going on here in the last few years it's horrid.
I wake every morning to blasting, hammering and paving equipment.
They just put 5 new homes on one side of us, with 75 going on the other side. :doh:
And to think we moved out in the boonies for the peace and quiet.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 11:29:45 AM »

This time around he hasn't seemed to bothered by it. If yours are used to it and it hasn't done them any harm then I'm sure he'll be fine.  :)
Thanks for the reply.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 12:16:26 PM »

Sometimes it helps to play music in his room to help ease the stops and starts of the noise next door.   Something like easy listening elevator music.  We keep a radio on in our chin room 24/7.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 12:25:20 PM »

We usually have the TV on in the room because he stays with us. I think he's fine really because he's just been out for about twenty minutes (by accident) and now he's fast asleep on his side on what's left of his wooden ladder. I got pictures because I've never seen him sleep like that. I personally don't see how he's comfortable, but he woke up looked at me and then went right back to the same position. He must have been knackered from spending most of the day awake. So cute.  ::silly::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 12:32:55 PM »

::silly::For the vibrations, try setting his cage on top of several layers of blankets to help buffer the vibrations.
Blankets over the windows and over the door will dampen the sound. 
This along with Jamie's suggestion should help to calm him.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 06:34:41 PM »

If he is sleeping on his side I'm sure he is fine.  Nervous chinchillas will cat nap sitting up in an alert position.  Your chinchilla sounds perfectly relaxed.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 10:08:15 AM »

Sometimes it helps to play music in his room to help ease the stops and starts of the noise next door.   Something like easy listening elevator music.  We keep a radio on in our chin room 24/7.

This was going to be my suggestion as well...  The sound waves might help to buffet the vibrations of the construction as well.  If he prefers the TV, then you're safe in using it as well.  :)

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 09:10:37 AM »

He likes computer games, the kind that have the monotonous calming music the background while you play.  :::grins::

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 09:24:20 AM »

He likes computer games, the kind that have the monotonous calming music the background while you play.  :::grins::

Maybe you can find a CD/tape that has the same kind of rhythm for him?   ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up