Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Taming them  (Read 7703 times)

chinchilla_gurl543

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Taming them
« on: June 28, 2006, 01:08:47 PM »

Hello again ::silly:: I have another question. What is a good way to handle a chin without being bitten? Also, what are some of your favorite breeds? Here's mine:
Standard, Violet, White Mosaic, and Hetero Beige :D

::wave::  :chin:
*Brenda the chinnie luver!*

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
Re: Taming them
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 01:23:56 PM »

I only have 1 biter at my house, he is fine though if he comes to you, just don't stick your hand in his territory. I usually just open the cage door and let my chinnies hop into my hands.  :::grins::

My favorites hmmm....
I really love violets and standards, but my black velvet is such a doll too. I also really am drawn to mosiacs. :) They are all so pretty its hard to choose. At the show I went to in April, there was a gorgeous little tan I just loved.
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 04:37:04 PM »

The harder my chins bite, the louder I yelp ;D they do learn. Even my chins with attitude will learn how hard is too hard.
Though yes some are just so gentle, though I have noticed the rougher ones are also rough with their own, not just me. ;D
I find taking them to a new area/room helps. They are unsure so I become their safe haven.You need to have them trust you first though. Once bonded I can do pretty much anything to/or with them.With some it does take more time than others.
They live a long life so take your time.

I fall in love with each new color I get, I'm into ebonies right now, and just had the first tans born here. I love her ::nod::
Though the differences in the standards continues to impress me.
Debbie.nl.ca

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 05:00:25 PM »

Is your chinchilla new?  It may be that you are trying too fast.  Let him get very compfortable with your hands in the cage before you try to pick him up.  :)

My favorite colors are white mosaic, eb white, & black velvet.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 08:04:33 AM »

::silly:: Hi!

The explanation below is strictly an explanation ... you are not being fussed at.  :)

Chinchillas have the full range of emotions that humans have.  They have to be able to trust you before they will be comfortable with you.  :-[  How would you feel if some giant (as big as a house) took you to some strange place you did not know, chased you until they caught you when you tried to escape?  :( Because you can not speak or under stand their language, you bite them to try to tell them you want to be left alone right now, that you are afraid of them.

It takes time to adjust to a new place.  Some adjust faster than others.  When you reach for a chin, you are going into "their space".

Speak softly and call them by name each time you enter or leave the room.  When you have the time, spend it with them, talking softly and praising them.  Most will usually come around.  Once they trust you, all the fun begins!

Chins will bite, but usually, not without reason.  They usually give you warnings before they bite.
(1)  Try to run away/hide from you.
(2)  Fuss at you.
(3)  Push your hand away with their paws.
(4)  Females will sometimes spray you (their way of self defense and protecting themselves and their kits).
(5)  Nip you gently to warn you ... Some by this time, have decided you are not going to listen and skip this step. 
(6)  Followed by a good hard bite ... sometimes to the bone.

Figure out what you may be doing wrong and don't do it any more.    ::nod::
 Treat your chin as you would like to be treated.    ::nod::  Soon you will find that they will be trying to get your attention.  ;)

Favorite color?  Ebony, Violet, Black Velvet, Pink White, Mosaics, Beige & Standards ... hmmm ... that takes them all in, doesn't it?  rofl

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 08:22:28 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Misskitz

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Taming them and breeds
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 08:14:26 AM »

I really don't have a biter but the best way to try to stop them is to give a treat then scoop them up. that works for me! As for favorite kind i would have to say mosaics and hetero beige.
"don't let nobody tell your life is over......be every color that you are!"

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Appreciation points: 1
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 10:09:32 PM »

My Snowball used to bite me when I first got him cause I don't know how to leave them alone
they are just so cute a cuddely that I can't just look at them  but then I tried doing what some one said on this site to do and that yas yelp very loud to let him know that it hurt you and well he doesn't bite anymore just tastes me
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 10:32:14 PM »

::silly:: I don't have a biter,They just come out or I give them a Treat. ::nod::

susansheila

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 12:13:41 PM »

Well, being new to the chin world.  My baby is about 10 wks old.  He has nibbled I think just because he's curious and it's a new world to him being away from Mom.

As for colors, violet because that's what Milo is.  And mosiac and all black (ebony?).

tinabeana

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 12:26:46 PM »

I've noticed Maggie tends to be fussy when we don't give her a regular amount of excersize time outside the cage, kicking and biting and what not, even when I handle her gently and only long enough to get her out the cage so i can clean it.

We're hoping that gettng her a saucer will help her burn off some energy.

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 05:31:57 PM »

Chinchillas have quite the attitude. When they want something they will go to all lengths to get it even just for entertainment. I have my new baby girl in quarantine, and when I let my male out to run around she gets very jealous and when i play with her he gets really jealous. You get a lot more attention from chins when you have 2 because then they will compete for their owners attention...lol...They love running and climbing how big is your cage?....do you give them enough room to jump and climb around in it?  that will probably ease their nastiness when it comes to wanting exercise...  I don't really know what it is like to have a biting chinchilla...I have had Bernie for a few years and when he gets mad he just barks..I have never had him bite me....Although bernie does like to give the dog or cats a nip here or there when he doesn't feel like playing with them. Even my new baby girl Bell doesn't bite. ::silly::
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:34:31 PM by Asikovsek »

Chins To Love

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Serenity
    • View Profile
    • Chins To Love
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 06:19:59 PM »

I must be one of the lucky ones..............no biters here either.  I do always try to do things on their terms though.  I can usually tell if they are not in the mood to be handled.  But they are all so affectionate that later they usually jump right into our hands, and look like they are wondering why we didn't get them out the last time. :-[
Julianne,  Proud ECBC member

Chins To Love
Fresno, CA
www.chinstolove.com

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 09:21:07 PM »

mine are spoiled spoiled spoiled if they don't get out for 1 day they will ignore me the for a few days and play dead just to keep me wanting their attention
spoiled little brats!!!!!!!
 rofl
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 05:26:33 AM »

::silly::Chinchillas will usually get along with anything that will show them love, attention and pacients.  ::nod:: 
Check out the picture of my Dane, Lady and one of Giget's sons, Jonathon.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 08:56:54 AM »

That is such a cute picture.....I love chinchillas!!!!.....they are so affectionate.....My chins are like my best friends... every night is play time and they know when because they just have woken up and are ready to play and are at their cages door waiting for me to let them out.....the funny thing is that they know when it is time to go back in their cages too.....I'll tell them that play times over and they will come right over to me let me pick them up them I put them at the base of my door to my bedroom put them down and they jump right back into their cages and start chowing down some hay and food...and they say you can't train a chinchilla...... ::silly::
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up